EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (2-7) got the home portion of its season started on Saturday with a pair of seven-inning games against Mount Aloysius College (1-1). The Mounties took game one by a 5-4 score while the Wasps salvaged the split in walk-off fashion, 2-1, in game two.
GAME ONE – Mount Aloysius 5, Emory & Henry 4
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 2, Mount Aloysius 1
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-7, 0-0 ODAC); Mount Aloysius (1-1, 0-0 AMCC)
- The Mounties got out to a 3-0 lead in the fourth, highlighted by a solo home run by Matthew Brown in the second.
- Emory & Henry got on the board in the bottom half of the fourth on a sacrifice fly by senior centerfielder Lukas Hart (Abingdon, Va.).
- Matt McCourt hit his first of two home runs in the game in the fifth to push the margin to 4-1.
- The Wasps answered with three runs in their half of the fifth to tie the game at four, as junior designated hitter Chandler Kezele (Marshall, Va.) and senior left fielder Logan Forster (Christiansburg, Va.) each had RBI base hits.
- McCourt put MAC ahead for good with his second round-tripper in the top of the seventh, 5-4.
- Douglas Cannon earned the win in relief, pitching the final 2.1 innings in shut-out fashion.
- Emory & Henry junior Ethan Cave (Jonesville, Va.) suffered the loss in relief, allowing one run on two hits and a walk.
- Patrick Mahon put the Mounties on the board in the top of the second with a double to right field.
- E&H knotted the game, 1-1, in the bottom of the inning as sophomore left fielder Jacob Zoller (Culpeper, Va.) singled to right-center, driving in sophomore third baseman Palmer Taylor (Meadowview, Va.).
- The score would remain deadlocked as the squads cruised through the game. The Wasps got the walk-off victory on a two-out infield single by Forster, plating Zoller.
- Emory & Henry junior Toby Robson (Blythewood, S.C.) earned the complete-game victory, allowing just one run on three hits while striking out four.
- Nick Lagnese took the loss, permitting one unearned run on two hits in 1.1 innings of work.
- The Wasps' game with Mount Aloysius scheduled for Sunday has been cancelled due to a 100 percent forecast of rain.
- Emory & Henry will travel to face Brevard College on Wednesday at 2:00 p.m.