EMORY, Va. – The Bridgewater College Men's Basketball Team (3-5, 1-2 ODAC) rallied from a nine-point second-half deficit on its way to an 93-78 victory over Emory & Henry College (2-5, 0-2 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play.
With his three-point basket at the 18:15 mark of the first half, senior guard Robert Holliday, Jr. (Kansas City, Kan.) eclipsed the 1,000-point mark for his career. Holliday entered the year with 897 points scored at his previous institutions prior to transferring to E&H.
FINAL SCORE – Bridgewater 83, Emory & Henry 78
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-5, 0-2 ODAC); Bridgewater (3-5, 1-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- E&H jumped out to a 12-6 lead through the first five minutes of the game and after a BC bucket, scored five in a row to go up 17-9 with 13:05 on the clock. The Eagles went on the offensive with a 16-5 scoring run which covered 3:39 to take a 25-22 advantage.
- The Wasps responded to go back ahead, and outscored Bridgewater by a 9-2 margin to close the half for a 46-39 lead at the intermission.
- The squad traded baskets early in the second half with E&H extending its lead back to nine (53-44) with 15:45 left to play. The Eagles chipped away at the deficit, closing the gap to 59-58 with 9:16 on the clock.
- The final 10 minutes was close both ways as neither team would lead by more than five points either way. The outcome of the contest hung in the balance until late but Bridgewater converted five of its final six free throws to escape with the 83-78 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Holliday, Jr. led E&H with a double-double scoring 15 points and adding 10 rebounds and three assists while senior guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) contributed 14 points, five boards, three assists and three steals.
- Sophomore guard Anthony Williams (Lynchburg, Va.) scored 12 points and pulled down six boards off the bench while sophomore guard Micah Banks (Simpsonville, S.C.) had 12 points and four rebounds.
Bridgewater Individual Leaders
- Chandler Murray posted a game-high 25 points and added seven rebounds, six assists and two steals while Davrion Grier had 16 points, five rebounds, three steals and two blocks.
- Will Bowser contributed 14 points, six rebounds and four assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 27-for-72 (37.5%) for the game making just 17.9 percent (5-of-28) three-point attempts. The Wasps were efficient at the line, making 79.2 percent (19-of-24) of their free throws.
- Bridgewater shot 47.5 percent (29-for-61) for the game with 10 makes from long range and converted 15-of-20 (75%) of its free throws.
- Emory & Henry held a 41-38 rebounding advantage and used 13 offensive boards for a 10-5 lead on second-chance points.
- The Wasps outscored the Eagles, 40-32, on points in the paint and 22-4 on points off turnovers, making the most of 17 Eagle miscues.
- Emory & Henry will be off for the next 12 days to complete the fall semester and exams before travelling to St. Petersburg, Florida for its first of two holiday tournaments.
- The Wasps will next play in the St. Pete Classic on the campus of Eckerd College, facing Calvin University on Thursday, December 19 at 11:00 a.m.