NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (15-2, 0-0 ODAC) swept its pair of games on Thursday at the Fastpitch Dreams Spring Classic, running its streak to eight-straight. The Wasps defeated the College of St. Scholastica, 6-1, to start the day and earned a come-from-behind win over Rutgers University-Camden, 9-5, to complete the sweep.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 6, Lycoming 1
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 9, Rutgers-Camden 5
LOCATION – North Myrtle Beach, S.C.
VENUE – North Myrtle Beach Sports Complex
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-2, 0-0 ODAC); St. Scholastica (5-9, 0-0 UMAC); Rutgers-Camden (5-3, 0-0 NJAC)
Emory & Henry 6, Lycoming 1
- St. Scholastica got on the board in the top of the first with a single to left field by Cindi Rydlund.
- The Wasps answered with a run in the bottom of the by junior left fielder Holly Britt (Floyd, Va.) and tacked on two in the third for a 3-1 advantage.
- E&H scored three more times in the sixth, two runs coming on a double by freshman designated player Kendall Varner (Bassett, Va.).
- Freshman right-hander Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) picked up the complete-game victory, allowing one run on two hits while striking out 14 to come within one of the E&H record.
- Saint hurler Heidi Shelton took the loss, allowing six runs on eight hits and six walks.
Emory & Henry 9, Rutgers-Camden 5
- The Wasps scored in the bottom of the first when senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) scored on a dropped fly ball.
- Camden put five runs across the plate in the top of the fifth to take a 5-1 lead. Mariah Hans had a two-run double to highlight the frame.
- Emory & Henry answered in the bottom half of the fifth with five runs of its own. A bases loaded walk to Hodge got things started and freshman designated player Mia Altizer (Abingdon, Va.) drove in a pair with a two-out single.
- In the sixth, the Wasps tacked on three more on a bases clearing double by senior shortstop Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) for the 9-5 final margin.
- Wasp sophomore Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) earned the win in relief, allowing just three hits in 2.2 shutout innings of work.
- Kendra Pfister suffered the loss for the Scarlet Raptors allowing nine runs on 11 hits and three walks.
- E&H is set to close out its Spring Break trip on Friday at 1:30 p.m. when it takes on Wesley College.