WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The Salem (N.C.) College Women's Soccer Team (4-3) scored a pair of goals in the second half on its way to a 2-0 win against visiting Emory & Henry College (1-4-1) Thursday afternoon in a non-conference matchup.
FINAL SCORE – Salem 2, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Winston-Salem, North Carolina
VENUE – Varsity Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-4-1, 0-1 ODAC); Salem (4-3, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- The Wasps and Spirits battled for a scoreless opening 45 minutes. Salem held a 10-4 shot advantage but E&H had solid chances of its own.
- At the 55:18 mark, Salem struck as Gina Franco converted a penalty kick for a 1-0 lead.
- The Sprits doubled their advantage in the 73rd minute when Martha Santos found Rachel Black with a pass and she broke toward the goal from the right corner past the last defender. The 2-0 advantage would hold for the remaining 16 minutes as Salem claimed the victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Freshman midfielder Ashlee Jordan (Boones Mill, Va.) put up three shots on the afternoon while senior forward Graysen Barrs (Abingdon, Va.) and freshman defender Michaela Monk (Bristol, Va.) each took two chances.
- E&H junior Kaela Schlevensky (Haymarket, Va.) made 11 saves in goal.
Salem Individual Leaders
- Franco and Black each finished the match with one goal while Amanda Rojo notched three shots on target and Kim Sephaphathi added three attempts.
- Hannah Wagner handled the goalkeeping duties, stopping six of the Wasps' shots.
- Emory & Henry returns home on Saturday for another non-conference matchup as it hosts Southern Virginia University. Kickoff between the Wasps and Knights is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.