MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The Emory & Henry College Track & Field Teams got the 2020 outdoor season started over the weekend, competing at the Coastal Carolina Invitational. Doug Shaw Memorial Stadium on the campus of Myrtle Beach High School served as the site for the event.
EVENT – Coastal Carolina Invitational
HOST – Coastal Carolina University
LOCATION – Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
VENUE – Doug Shaw Memorial Stadium
Top Men's Performances
- Senior Trel Phillips (Ooltewah, Tenn.) won the shot put with a throw of 13.92 meters while senior Justin Fannon (Abingdon, Va.) was third. Fannon set a new record in the hammer throw at 39.67 meters and was fourth in the discus. Phillips finished seventh in the discus and 17th in the hammer.
- Junior Jackson Kaze (Midlothian, Va.) won the 1,500 meters with an E&H-record time of 4:17.56 while freshman Colby Martin (Fork Union, Va.) established the school record in the triple jump (12.54m), finishing fourth. Martin also took third in the 200 meters at :24.09.
- Sophomore Lucas Biggerstaff (Knoxville, Tenn.) was eighth in the 5,000 meters with a time of 19:17.81 while freshman James Guthrie (Dublin, Va.) was third in the flat 3,000 meters in 10:45.23.
Women's Top Performances
- Sophomore Yasmin Thorpe (Mount Airy, Md.) finished seventh in the 400 meters, breaking the school record with a time of 1:10.67. She also took seventh in the 200 meters (:30.11).
- Sophomore Lorin Zehr (Holly Pond, Ala.) set a new record in the hammer throw at 32.81 meters, finishing 15th. She was also 11th in the discus and 13th in the shotput.
- Emory & Henry College is continuously monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic and has put all of its athletic events on hold. All updates will be published on www.GoWasps.com as they are available.