EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (2-2) got back on track Saturday afternoon with a 91-90 win against Maryville (Tenn.) College (0-3). The victory marked the third in as many years for the Wasps over the Scots.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 91, Maryville (Tenn.) 90
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-2, 0-0 ODAC); Maryville (Tenn.) (0-3, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry jumped out to an 18-8 lead at the 13:26 mark of the first half but Maryville closed the gap down to four with an 8-2 run. The Wasps surged back to lead by 13 (31-18) with less than five minutes to go before the break and carried a 43-32 advantage into the locker room.
- E&H opened the second half on a 12-6 run to push the lead out to 17 with 16:13 on the clock, but MC went on the offensive and got within eight (51-59) just over three minutes later. Seven in a row by the Wasps made it a double-digit contest again at 66-51.
- Trailing by 15 with 6:58 left to play, Maryville went on a 21-9 run to get within a basket at 87-84 with 1:05 on the clock. The Wasps were just efficient enough at the stripe in the final minute to put the game out of reach as the Scots hit an uncontested three at the buzzer for the 91-90 final score.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior guard Robert Holliday, Jr. (Kansas City, Kan.) led all players with 28 points and added seven rebounds, three assists and two steals while senior guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) was two points back at 26 markers, seven steals and four assists.
- Sophomore guard Micah Banks (Simpsonville, S.C.) added 167 points, four rebounds and four assists as freshman guard Kevin Grau Rodriguez (Tampa, Fla.) pitched in seven points off the bench.
Maryville Individual Leaders
- The Scots put five players in double figures led by Felix Uadiale's 23 point, seven rebound and two steals while J.R. Sanders had 18 points and five boards.
- Kevin Chong scored 17 points and pulled down eight rebounds off the bench while Nicholas Clifton had a double-double with 12 points, 11 rebounds and five assists. Joshua Brooks contributed 10 points.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 50.8 percent (33-of-65) for the game, hitting 10 three-pointers, and was 15-of-24 (62.5%) from the free throw line.
- Maryville made 33-of-69 (47.8%) of its shots with seven triples and converted 63 percent (17-of-27) of its free throws.
- The Scots led, 42-32, on the glass, and used 15 offensive rebounds to hold an 18-13 lead on second-chance points. MC also led, 48-40 on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will visit UNC Wilmington in the D.C. Classic on Tuesday evening at 7:00 p.m. The contest will be an exhibition for the Wasps.