EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (1-0) jumped out to a 17-9 lead at the end of the first period and never looked back as it picked up a 71-60 win over visiting Averett University (0-1) Friday evening in the season opener for both squads. The game marked the first for Head Coach Jaclyn Dickens '99 at the helm after serving for the previous four seasons as an assistant coach.
The contest, originally scheduled to take place on the AU campus, was moved to E&H as the USA South Athletic Conference Volleyball Championship is being played this weekend at the Grant Center in Danville.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 71, Averett 60
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-0, 0-0 ODAC); Averett (0-1, 0-0 USA South)
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) posted a game-high 19 points and 10 rebounds for a double-double and added three assists and three steals.
- Senior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) tacked on 17 points and seven boards while sophomore guard Callie Haderer (Bristol, Va.) had 14 points off the bench.
- Sophomore forward Alexis Hoppers (Sparta, N.C.) contributed three points and six rebounds.
Averett Individual Leaders
- Ravyn Johnson paced the Cougars with 18 points and added nine rebounds and three steals while Brooke Carthon finished with 14 points and eight boards.
- Camryn Lunsford went for 11 points, four rebounds and two assists.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Tuesday when it hosts Maryville (Tenn.) College. Tipoff between the Wasps and Scots is set for 7:00 p.m.