EMORY, Va. – The Maryville (Tenn.) College Women's Basketball Team (3-0) hit 14 three-point field goals on its way to an 81-71 victory over Emory & Henry College (1-1) Tuesday evening in non-conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Maryville (Tenn.) 81, Emory & Henry 71
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-1, 0-0 ODAC); Maryville (Tenn.) (3-0, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got out to an early lead but Maryville stormed back with to go up 11-7 midway through the period. The Scots kept the pressure on, as Courtney Carruthers scored 13 points in the opening 10 minutes for a 27-16 lead.
- In the second, E&H shaved the margin down to five (32-27) with an 11-5 run but MC went 6-for-6 from beyond the arc to go into the intermission up 49-34.
- The squads traded baskets coming out of the break and the Wasps used a 10-0 run spanning 2:35 to get within four (57-53) with 1:19 to go in the third quarter. Five straight points by the Scots pushed the margin back to nine, 62-53, with 10 minutes left to play.
- Emory & Henry would not go away quietly in the fourth as it battled back from three double-digit deficits. The Wasps put up a 7-1 run late to close the gap to four (74-71), but Maryville closed the contest with six in a row for the final 81-71 score.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) led the Wasps with 22 points, going 9-for-19 from the field with eight rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Senior forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) had 19 points, eight rebounds and five steals while senior forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) added eight points, three rebounds and three assists.
- Sophomore guard Callie Haderer (Bristol, Va.) contributed seven points and four steals.
Maryville Individual Leaders
- Carruthers scorched the nets with a game-high 38 points, hitting eight threes and finishing 13-for-24 from the floor. She added four rebounds and three steals.
- Klaire Varney posted 13 points, nine rebounds and four steals while Shelby Hix notched 10 points and three assists.
- Libby Gardner finished the game with eight points, six assists and three steals.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 28-for-59 (47.5%) for the game with six three-pointers while Maryville shot 52.8 percent (28-for-53) with 14 makes from long range.
- The Wasps led on points in the paint, 44-26, and used 11 offensive rebounds to hold a 9-2 lead on second-chance points.
- MC took advantage of 24 E&H turnovers and led, 40-22, on its ensuing possessions.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home this weekend as it hosts the Comfort Suites Classic.
- The Wasps will face Oglethorpe University on Friday evening at 6:00 p.m., while Randolph-Macon College is set to take on Pfeiffer University at 8:00 p.m.