EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (2-1) established a 40-38 halftime lead and extended its margin through the third and fourth periods on its way to a 77-61 win over Oglethorpe University (2-1) Friday evening in game one of the Comfort Suites Classic.
The Stormy Petrels are ranked No. 19 in NCAA Division III by the Women's Basketball Coaches Association.
In Friday's other contest, Randolph-Macon College notched an 80-38 win over Pfeiffer University.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 77, Oglethorpe 61
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-1, 0-0 ODAC); Oglethorpe (2-1, 0-0 SAA)
How It Happened
- The two squads went back and forth for the opening five minutes of the game before E&H went on a 12-2 run to take a 28-20 lead with 1:12 on the clock. The Wasps would lead, 28-24, after 10 minutes of play.
- In the second, Emory & Henry extended its lead to 37-28 at the 5:12 mark before Oglethorpe closed the gap down to two (37-35) thanks to a 7-0 run that covered 2:45. The halftime score would favor the home team, 40-38.
- The teams once again battled through the opening five minutes of the third to a 46-all draw before E&H took control with a 10-4 run to close the period.
- The fourth quarter saw the Wasps close the door, outscoring the Stormy Petrels by a 21-11 margin. Leading by five with 6:47 to play, Emory & Henry finished the game on an 18-7 run for the 77-61 final.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Emory & Henry saw four players reach double figures in scoring as two posted double-doubles.
- Senior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) put up 17 points, 13 rebounds, four assists and four blocks while senior forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) went for 17 points and 10 boards.
- Senior forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) finished with 10 points and nine rebounds with junior guard Kylea Cooper (Hickory, N.C.) adding 10 points, and three assists.
Oglethorpe Individual Leaders
- Taylor Smith scored a game-high 18 points to go along with nine rebounds, two assists and two steals while Nikki Reed went for 11 points.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 42.9 percent (24-for-56) for the game with nine three-pointers and hit 80 percent (20-of-25) of its free throws.
- Oglethorpe managed only to only make 24-for-70 (34.4%) of its field goals and was 1-for-14 (7.1%) from long range. The Petrels also struggled at the line, hitting just 12-of-21 free throws.
- The Wasps led, 46-37, on the boards and made the most of 13 offensive rebounds for 15 second-chance points.
- OU led the battle down low, 34-28, and points off turnovers, 19-7, taking advantage of 18 E&H miscues.
- Emory & Henry will conclude its four-game home stand to start the season on Saturday at 6:00 p.m., when it hosts Pfeiffer in the final game of the Comfort Suites Classic.
- The Stormy Petrels will meet the Yellow Jackets of Randolph-Macon at 4:00 p.m.