EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (3-1) opened up a 26-10 halftime lead and never looked back as it defeated Pfeiffer University (1-2) by a 60-41 score Saturday evening in the final game of the Comfort Suites Classic.
In the first game of the day, Oglethorpe University took down Randolph-Macon College, 73-53.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 60, Pfeiffer 41
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-1, 0-0 ODAC); Pfeiffer (1-2, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- E&H opened up a 14-8 lead at the end of the first period and extended the margin to 26-10 at the break as it held Pfeiffer to just two points in the second.
- In the third quarter, the Wasps went up 34-15 with an eight straight points and made it 44-21 with 10 minutes left to play thanks to an 8-1 run.
- Emory & Henry was able to go deep on its bench as 10 different players scored on the evening and all 12 players who suited up played at least seven minutes. The Wasps would lead by as much as 28 (53-25) midway through the fourth as they cruised to the 60-41 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior forward Elizabeth Jones (Wytheville, Va.) put up a career-high 14 points and added four rebounds while senior forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) had her third straight double-double with 10 points – all of which came in the second half – and 14 rebounds.
- Senior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) contributed eight points, nine rebounds and two assists while junior guard Kylea Cooper (Hickory, N.C.) had seven points, two assists and two steals.
- Senior forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) notched seven points and seven boads.
Pfeiffer Individual Leaders
- Brina Bentley led the Falcons with 10 points while A'Mya McClain went for eight points, four rebounds and three steals.
- Kortni Pinion scored seven points, tacking on five rebounds and two assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 23-for-63 (36.5%) from the field with five makes from long range but Pfeiffer was cold at 27.6 percent (16-of-58) on the evening.
- The Wasps dominated the boards, 58-31, pulling down 20 offensive rebounds for 17 second-chance points.
- E&H also held significant leads in points in the paint (30-14) and points off turnovers, 19-5.
- E&H saw three of its players named to the Comfort Suites All-Classic Team, including the Most Outstanding Player of the weekend.
- Williams claimed M.O.P. honors and was joined by McKinney and Stafford in the group of eight.
- Emory & Henry will return to action on Thursday when it visits Piedmont College. Tipoff will be at 6:00 p.m.
Comfort Suites All-Classic Team
Peyton Williams, Emory & Henry – M.O.P.
Sydney McKinney, Emory & Henry
Kara Stafford, Emory & Henry
Sydni Donovan, Oglethorpe
Taylor Smith, Oglethorpe
A'Mya McClain, Pfeiffer
Michal Ross, Randolph-Macon
Kelly Williams, Randolph-Macon