LEXINGTON, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (6-1, 1-0 ODAC) got the game-clinching basket from senior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) with 5.4 seconds remaining in overtime as the Wasps held on for an 84-80 victory at Washington and Lee University (3-3, 2-1 ODAC) in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action Sunday.
It was the second overtime game in 10 days for E&H, which topped Piedmont College by a 77-70 score on November 21.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 84, Washington and Lee 80 (OT)
LOCATION – Lexington, Virginia
VENUE – Duchossois Tennis Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-1, 1-0 ODAC); Washington and Lee (3-3, 2-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Down by a 10-7 score midway through the first period, Washington and Lee went on a 16-4 run to take a 23-14 advantage. The Generals would lead 23-16 after 10 minutes of play,
- In the second, the Wasps stormed back to go up 34-33 at the intermission on a three-pointer by sophomore guard Taylor Gilbert (Abingdon, Va.) at the buzzer.
- Coming out of the break, Emory & Henry scored six of the first nine points of the period to push its margin to 40-36. W&L responded with a 14-4 run to take a 50-44 lead but the Wasps scored the final three points of the period to close the gap to 50-47.
- The Generals extended their margin to 57-49 at the 7:54 mark of the fourth period but Emory & Henry responded with a 16-5 scoring spurt to lead 67-62 with 2:56 left on the clock. W&L charged back and tied the game at 71 before falling behind 73-71 on a pair of free throws, but Andi Smithey's turnaround jumper at the buzzer sent the game to overtime (73-73).
- In the extra period, the Generals led by a bucket on three separate occasions but junior guard Kylea Cooper's (Hickory, N.C.) three-pointer from the right wing with 1:10 remaining put E&H ahead for good. W&L stayed in the fight but McKinney's put-back with 5.4 seconds left sealed the deal for the Wasps, 84-80.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) posted a career-high 24 points, going 12-for-14 at the free throw line to go along with eight rebounds, three assists and a block.
- Cooper had 14 points, hitting a trio of three-pointers, while senior forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) went for 13 points and six boards.
- McKinney notched 12 points, nine rebounds and six steals in the contest.
Washington and Lee Individual Leaders
- Smithey Led the Generals with 20 points on 8-for-16 shooting and posted six rebounds, three steals and two assists while Erin Hughes went for 16 points, three boards and three steals.
- Taylor Casey had 15 points while Kate Groninger and went for 13 points off the bench.
- Megan Horn tacked on 10 points, eight assists, four rebounds and two blocks.
A Deeper Look
- E&H went 25-for-62 (40.3%) for the game with six three-pointers but the Wasps torched the nets at the line, going 28-for-34 (82.4%).
- Washington and Lee made 36.8 percent (28-for-76) of its field goals and stayed in the contest with nine triples. The Generals hit just 68.2 percent (15-of-22) of their free throw attempts.
- Emory & Henry edged W&L, 46-45, on rebounding but the Generals' 17 offensive boards translated to an 11-10 lead on second-chance points.
- Washington and Lee led, 28-23, on points off turnovers while the Wasps outscored the Generals, 30-26, on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Wednesday to host Ferrum College in an ODAC contest. Tipoff will be at 7:00 p.m.