EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (12-2, 6-1 ODAC) got back to its winning ways Saturday with a 64-55 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win over Randolph College (5-8, 1-6 ODAC).
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 64, Randolph 55
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (12-2, 6-1 ODAC); Randolph (5-8, 1-6 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The WildCats jumped out to a 10-0 lead at the 6:09 mark of the opening period but the Wasps scored nine in a row to make it a one-point game. A 4-2 run to close the frame by RC made the score 14-11.
- E&H took its first lead early in the second quarter, going up by three points, 24-21, on a layup by senior forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) with 4:15 to play before the break. Randolph responded with a 7-2 run to close the half for a 28-26 margin.
- RC scored six of the first eight points of the third quarter before Emory & Henry went on a 10-0 run spanning 3:14 for a 38-34 advantage. The Wasps would push the margin to six (45-39) with 10 minutes left to play.
- The WildCats battled back to close the gap to 47-46 early in the fourth, but six in a row by the Wasps made it a seven-point game (55-48) with 4:47 on the clock. E&H led by as much as 11 down the stretch on its way to a 64-55 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) led all players with a double-double, posting 19 points and 11 rebounds to go along with five steals, two assists and two blocks.
- Stafford finished the game with six points, six boards, five assists and two steals while junior guard Elizabeth Jones (Wytheville, Va.) had nine points and five rebounds.
- Sophomore center Alexis Hoppers (Sparta, N.C.) scored eight points off the bench while sophomore guard Taylor Gilbert (Abingdon, Va.) had eight points, five rebounds, three assists and two steals in her first collegiate start.
Randolph Individual Leaders
- Kalyn Banks placed the WildCats with 14 points, eight rebounds and three steals while Cameron O'Neil had 12 points off the bench.
- Lanaysia Gonzalez added nine points and four rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 43.6 percent (24-for-55) for the game including an even 13-of 26 (50%) in the second half. The Wasps made 13-of-15 (86.7%) of their free throws.
- Randolph hit just 19-of-56 (33.9%) of its shots but had seven makes from long range. The WildCats were a blistering 10-of-11 (90.9%) at the charity stripe.
- Emory & Henry dominated the boards, 40-29, and used 13 offensive rebounds for a 17-10 lead on second-chance points. The Wasps also held a 38-16 lead on points in the paint and a 22-19 advantage on points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry will visit Hollins on Wednesday for a 7:00 p.m. contest.