EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (18-4, 12-3 ODAC) avenged an early-season loss to Roanoke College (15-8, 10-6 ODAC) with a convincing 75-52 victory Wednesday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action. Four different players reached double figures in scoring for the Wasps.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 75, Roanoke 52
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (18-4, 12-3 ODAC); Roanoke (15-8, 10-6 ODAC)
How It Happened
- E&H jumped out to a 10-3 lead at the 6:31 mark of the opening period before RC closed the margin down to 18-15 after 10 minutes of play. Midway through the second, the Wasps scored 14 in a row as part of a larger 19-2 run on the way to a 41-29 halftime advantage.
- In the third, E&H scored 10 straight to push their lead to 19 points (53-34) on the way to a 55-39 score with a period to play.
- Emory & Henry continued to build its lead through the fourth quarter and all 12 players were able to see at least three-and-a-half minutes of action. The Wasps finished the game on a 7-1 run to pick up the 75-52 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) led all players with 18 points and added seven rebounds, three assists and two steals. Senior forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) had 13 points, eight rebounds, six assists and five steals.
- Senior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) posted a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds while junior forward Elizabeth Jones (Wytheville, Va.) had 10 points.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- Ayanna Scarbrough went for 14 points, five rebounds and three steals while Sayre Brandstatter scored 12 points off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 39.7 percent (23-for-58) of its field goals and made five three pointers. The Wasps were nearly automatic at the free throw line, shooting 24-for-27 (88.9%) on the evening.
- Roanoke shot 18-for-58 (31.0%) on the evening with seven makes from long range. The Maroons struggled at the stripe, making just 52.9 percent (9-for-17) of their attempts.
- E&H held a 41-38 rebounding advantage and outscored RC by a 36-22 margin on points in the paint.
- The Wasps forced 24 turnovers, earning 15 steals, and outscored the Maroons, 18-10, on ensuing possessions.
- Emory & Henry will be on the road for the next two games, visiting Eastern Mennonite University on Saturday at 4:30 p.m.