DANVILLE, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Soccer Team (1-0-1) scored a late goal to propel itself to a 1-0 victory over Averett University (0-3) Wednesday evening on the road.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 1, Averett 0
LOCATION – Danville, Virginia
VENUE – Campbell Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-0-1, 0-0 ODAC); Averett 0-3, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- The two teams battled through more than 80 minutes of play with neither able to find the back of the net. E&H held a 6-5 shot margin in the opening 45 minutes before gaining momentum after the break.
- With just under seven minutes to play, the Wasps earned a corner kick. Junior forward Kelci Horner (Salem, Va.) blasted a shot off the goalkeeper, who was unable to secure it. Senior forward Graysen Barrs (Abingdon, Va.) found the loose ball inside the box and finished it for the goal.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Horner led all players with six shots including two on goal but it was Barrs' 84th-minute strike that proved to be the difference-maker.
- Junior goalkeeper Kaela Schlevensky (Haymarket, Va.) earned the shutout victory, making one save in 90 minutes.
Averett Individual Leaders
- Emily Meador posted five attempts for the Cougars and had the team's only shot on goal.
- Morgann Dills made four saves on the evening, despite suffering the loss.
- Emory & Henry will play its first home match of the season on Sunday when it hosts Greensboro College. Kickoff between the Wasps and Pride will be at 4:00 p.m.