EMORY, Va. – The Eastern Mennonite University Women's Soccer Team (7-1, 1-0 ODAC) scored the lone goal of the match midway through the 72nd minute on the way to an Old Dominion Athletic Conference victory over Emory & Henry College (2-6-1, 0-2 ODAC). The contest was delayed by nearly an hour due to thunderstorms passing through Southwest Virginia on Saturday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE – Eastern Mennonite 1, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-6-1, 0-2 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite (7-1, 1-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two squads battled through a scoreless opening 45 minutes. EMU held a slim, 7-5, margin on shots, but E&H put two of its attempts on target, forcing action by the Royals' goalkeeper.
- Early in the second half, the teams continued to joust for control of both the midfield and the scoreboard. With 20:41 remaining in regulation, a stop in action was called due to severe weather passing through the area.
- The "all clear" was given after a delay of almost one hour. Eastern Mennonite came out fast and put a score on the board with 18:26 to play. Lily Dodson received a pass from the midfield and, after battling the E&H defenders for possession, found an open lane to put a strike past the goalkeeper at the left post.
- Both teams had opportunities in the last 15 minutes of the contest, but Dodson's goal would hold up for the 1-0 final score.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Freshman midfielder Grace Williams (Earleysville, Va.) and freshman forward Amber Altice (Rocky Mount, Va.) each put a pair of shots on target while freshman midfielder Helen Frazier (Vienna, Va.) added a shot on goal.
- Junior Kaela Schlevensky (Haymarket, Va.) and freshman Natalie Capone (Kannapolis, N.C.) split time in goal with Capone making six saves in the second half.
Eastern Mennonite Individual Leaders
- Hannah York tallied four shots on the afternoon, with three going on target. Haley Barnes and Leigh Lumsden each notched three attempts.
- Leah Wenger finished the match with five saves, earning the shutout.
- Emory & Henry will be on the road for its next three matches beginning with a trip to Ferrum College on Wednesday. Kickoff between the Wasps and Panthers is set for 6:00 p.m.