ROANOKE, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (6-13, 3-5 ODAC) picked up its third win in the last four matches on Tuesday as it defeated Hollins University (12-11, 2-7 ODAC) in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference matchup on the road.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Hollins 2 (23-25, 25-20, 21-25, 25-18, 15-13)
LOCATION – Roanoke, Virginia
VENUE – C.H. Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-13, 3-5 ODAC); Hollins (12-11, 2-7 ODAC)
How It Happened
- HU opened the match with a 25-23 win in the first thanks in part to a 13-3 run midway through the frame. The Wasps closed the gap with a 10-4 run of its own but it would not be enough to overtake the Green-and-Gold.
- Emory & Henry tied the match in the second as it built a 15-9 lead and scored the final five points of the set for a 25-20 win.
- In the third, Hollins bounced back for a 25-21 win, using a seven-point run early and answering E&H's five point run with one of its own to earn the win.
- The Wasps again tied the match with a strong performance in the fourth. E&H broke open a close set with nine points in a row to take a 17-9 lead and scored five of the final six for a 25-18 victory.
- Emory & Henry took a 5-2 lead early in the fifth but Hollins closed the gap to 9-7 midway through the set. The Wasps pushed the margin to 14-10, but three in a row by HU made it a one-point game again. E&H responded, however to claim the match with a kill, 15-13.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Redshirt freshman right-side hitter Carley Williams (Bristol, Tenn.) posted a career-high 20 kills to lead all players and added four digs and four blocks while sophomore middle Makayla Payne (Bristol, Va.) had 10 kills and three blocks of her own.
- Sophomore outside hitter Chelsie Crussell (Kingsport, Tenn.) recorded nine kills, 15 digs and four aces while sophomore right-side hitter Ashley Clayton (Durham, N.C.) went for eight kills.
- Senior libero Lauren Coolidge (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) had a double-double with 19 digs and 12 assists while freshman setter Marissa Snapp (Chuckey, Tenn.) put up 25 assists, 19 digs and three aces. Freshman setter Abbie Dillon (Goodview, Va.) contributed 19 kills, six digs and two aces.
Hollins Individual Leaders
- Kenna Esquibel and Hannah Arthur led Hollins with eight kills each while Esquibel notched 11 digs. Zoe Brooks and Casey Mahan handled the setting duties with 17 and 14 assists, respectively.
- Hannah Piatak went finished with a match-high 22 digs.
- Emory & Henry will return home for an ODAC tri-match on Sunday as it hosts Shenandoah University and University of Lynchburg. The Wasps will take on the Lynchburg Hornets at 11:00 a.m., and the Shenandoah Hornets at 3:00 p.m. The pair of Hornets will have their showdown at 1:00 p.m.