EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (8-14) stepped out of conference play to avenge an early-season loss on Thursday evening. The Wasps defeated the Pride of Greensboro College (14-13) by a 3-1 score.
The match also served as E&H's annual Dig Pink Night in support of the Side-Out Foundation. More than $1,000 was raised for the fight against breast cancer.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Greensboro 1 (26-24, 20-25, 22-25, 25-20)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (8-14, 5-6 ODAC); Greensboro (14-13, 6-5 USA South)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry took a 1-0 lead in the match, winning the first set, 26-24. Sophomore middle Makayla Payne (Bristol, Va.) led the Wasps with five kills in the frame as they finished the set on a 10-3 run.
- In the second, the squads traded points early before E&H got the slightest amount of daylight. Three points in a row gave the Wasps a 19-15 lead which they managed to hold on their way to the 25-20 victory and 2-0 lead in the match.
- Greensboro got out to a 10-4 lead in the third and despite a run late by Emory & Henry to tie things up at 19, the Pride powered back to take frame, 25-22.
- The fourth set featured nine ties and five lead changes as the Pride went ahead early. E&H closed the gap to within one, 17-16, midway through and put together a late 10-3 run to seal the set and the match. Payne added seven kills on 10 attempts in the fourth alone.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Payne finished the match with 19 kills and just one error for a .643 hitting percentage, adding two blocks. Sophomore middle Marigrace Grow (Fairfield, Va.) had eight kills and five blocks while sophomore outside hitter Chelsie Crussell (Kingsport, Tenn.) tacked on seven kills, 18 digs, four aces and three blocks.
- Freshman setter Abbie Dillon (Goodview, Va.) had 20 assists, 13 digs and three aces while freshman setter Marissa Snapp (Chuckey, Tenn.) pitched in 19 assists, 12 digs and two aces.
- Sophomore libero Abbie Jennings (Marion, Va.) posted 20 digs and two aces.
Greensboro Individual Leaders
- Sarah Egbers posted a team-high 11 kills while Hailey Stout had a double-double with 10 kills and 11 digs.
- Dixie Fulk notched 35 assists and 11 digs while Carly Uhlir went for seven kills and 21 digs.
- Emory & Henry will be on the road for a key Old Dominion Athletic Conference match on Friday when it visits Guilford College. First serve will be at 6:00 p.m.