EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (9-18) closed out the 2019 season by splitting a pair of matches Sunday at home. The Wasps opened the day with a 3-0 loss to The University of the South (18-9) before picking up a 3-1 win over Salem (N.C.) College (14-13).
The matches also served as Senior Day for E&H, which honored senior libero Lauren Coolidge (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) prior to the beginning of the 3:00 p.m. contest against the Spirits.
RESULTS – Sewanee 3, Emory & Henry 0 (25-15, 25-20, 25-21)
Emory & Henry 3, Salem (N.C.) 1 (26-24, 24-26, 25-22, 25-23)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (9-18, 4-8 ODAC); Sewanee (18-9); Salem (N.C.) (14-13)
The Sewanee Match
- Sophomore middle Marigrace Grow (Fairfield, Va.) led the Wasps with eight kills, hitting .583, while redshirt freshman right-side hitter Carley Williams (Bristol, Tenn.) and freshman outside hitter Savanah Keesee (Madison Heights, Va.) each tallied seven kills.
- Freshman setter Abbie Dillon (Goodview, Va.) had 15 assists and five digs while freshman Marissa Snapp (Chuckey, Tenn.) tacked on 14 assists.
- Coolidge notched a team-best nine digs and added three assists.
The Salem Match
- Sophomore middle Makayla Payne (Bristol, Va.) posted a team-high 13 kills and added three blocks while Grow put up another 10 kills and four blocks.
- Williams had nine kills while sophomore right-side hitter Ashley Clayton (Durham, N.C.) went for four kills and four blocks.
- Dillon notched a double-double with 21 assists, 10 digs, two kills and two aces while Snapp put up 19 assists and seven digs.
- Coolidge collected 18 digs and had three assists and a service ace.
- Emory & Henry will now await the release of the 2019 All-Old Dominion Athletic Conference Teams which will come following the conclusion of the ODAC Tournament.